Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Lawn Bowls is a game that only takes a few minutes to learn, but a lifetime to master.

New members will always receive a warm welcome here at Much Hadham Bowling Club, no matter what age or standard of bowler. You are sure to make new friends and if new to the game you will discover a pastime that will probably take over your life, or at least become an important part of it. At this club you will find complete beginners and experienced bowlers playing alongside each other in friendly surroundings and we play a variety of mixed, mens and ladies fixtures.

Further information can be obtained by contacting our Club Secretary John Perryman 01920 481507 or 07710522840 or through our Contact Us page or by completing and submitting a Membership Form.  Alternatively, during the Summer Season (May to September) please come along to the Club on any Wednesday Evening from about 6pm.

We are sure you will have many questions, but the answers to a few initial ones are given below:

How Much Does It Cost to Play? Membership fees are set each year at our AGM. They are for 2023 season £50pa for new members and £100pa for existing members. These give members unlimited free access to the green for roll ups and club events. 

Do I need special clothing? This is not required initially but you will need comfortable clothes and flat soled trainers or shoes.Flat soles are obviously needed to preserve the surface of the green.Once membership is confirmed and if you want to be involved in competitions or club matches you will as a minimum require, proper bowling shoes, grey trousers (men) or trousers/skirt/cropped trousers (women) and other clothes such as sweaters and waterproofs. 

What equipment is needed? Do I need my own bowls?You won't need any to begin with- the club has a store of different 'woods'(bowls) for use and you will want to try different weights and sizes before acquiring your own woods.We will be able to advise you on the appropriate size and type of bowls that will suit you best. Once you become a member you are encouraged to acquire your own set of new or second hand bowls .

Are you under any commitment? No, just try the game and see if it's for you, just play as much as you like and join in matches when you feel ready. Some members just play socially outside of any competitions, whilst others enjoy the various matches involved in both our Club’s competitions and those league and friendly games we have with other Clubs in the area.

How can I gain access to the green and club house? When you join us you can apply for your own keys to the bowls green and club house. There is free parking alongside the bowling green.

When are the practice days? Normally members meet on Wednesday evenings from about 5.30.pm. and practise at these times but with your own keys and once you are a member you will have more opportunities to practise so long as matches are not being played or the  green keeper is not working on the green.

How will I be able to improve my game? Essentially by playing but members will give you guidance and our coach will be able to give you lessons if required.